The Recruitment & Employment Confederation’s (REC) Health and Social Care Sector Group provides specialist support and advice to recruitment agencies who work across the health and social care space. We fight your corner and champion the positive impact you have on people's lives.
The sector group is one the REC’s largest and most active, with members ranging from the top ten staffing suppliers to hundreds of SMEs. If you are a recruiter supplying clinical and non-clinical workers to the NHS, Local Authorities and other private care providers, contact your Account Manager (by calling 0207 009 2100 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org) to add your voice.
Members can also use our sector-specific membership certificate.
Key campaigns include:
- Reforming public sector procurement – we regularly lobby NHS Improvement, NHS Employers, major framework providers and your Social Work/Care clients to improve the accessibility, quality and commercial sustainability of framework agreements and managed service arrangements.
- Tackling skills shortages – by promoting better workforce planning, the value of contingent labour, and responsive immigration policies.
- Championing the importance of agency workers’ access to training and CPD as critical to employee well-being and patient safety.
- Raising standards, compliance and safeguarding in the sector.
Check out our most recent sector blogs, policy updates and press releases:
- Our next sector meeting is on Wednesday 10th May, where we will receive an update from NHS Improvement, as well as learning about the Royal College of Nursing’s Healthy Workplace toolkit, an IR35 “one month in” presentation and an apprenticeship levy talk.
- In January we held our first event; a webinar on ‘NHS Caps,Controls and Procurement’. Martin Innes returned to update members on NHS Improvements latest plans, and we heard from Fiona Holliday (East of England Collaborative Procurement Hub) and Gary Snart from Health Trust Europe.
Past sector group meetings:
- October 2016: In our final sector meeting of the year, we heard from keynote speaker Martin Innes (Head of Agency Intelligence at NHS Improvement) on the current challenges that members were facing surrounding caps and controls. With the upcoming arrival of IR35 changes and possible additional ‘caps’ and restrictions, this was an opportunity for members to put forward their concerns. We also received a procurement update from Crown Commercial Service and the Collaborative Procurement Partnership, as well as an IR35 presentation from Dains and a short talk on CPD.
- August 2016: We hosted a special webinar to discuss the latest round of agency caps and the impact that it is having on health and social care recruitment agencies. We also looked at the new political landscape, the implications of Brexit for NHS staffing, latest developments on procurement, legal queries and other policy work that the REC is engaged in.
- May 2016: This was our first face to face meeting of the year, and timely opportunity to hear direct from NHS Improvement on the NHS caps, and debate the impact of the National Living Wage on the care market.
- April 2016: Our first member webinar post the April 55% spend cap, we discussed the frontline impact on patient safety, as well as candidates’ reactions. Healthcare recruiters also received an update on the current state of the frameworks, with contributions from the major framework owners.
- March 2016: In our final webinar before the April 2016 cap was implemented, we briefed members on legal action and the latest policy announcements from NHS Improvement. Get in touch with your account manager to access a copy of the webinar: a summary of the poll data we gathered from participants is available here.
- January 2016: How did members weather the first round of NHS caps over the Christmas period? Click here to view the webinar, and here to find out the results.