Demand for cyber security staff to surge next year – REC

Filed under Press release

Monday, 18 December 2017

 

Demand for cyber security staff will increase over the next year, according to all recruitment agencies surveyed by the Recruitment & Employment Confederation (REC). The majority (81 per cent) think demand will increase “significantly”.

 

However, according to 81 per cent of recruitment businesses, the UK workforce is unlikely to meet demand in cyber security over the next 12 months. Only 16 per cent think it is likely that demand will be met.

 

The shortage of candidates to fill the increasing number of roles in cyber security means employers will push up pay. 94 per cent of recruiters predict pay for cyber security staff will increase over the next year, while the remaining 6 per cent think it will stay the same. 


Cyber security roles have also been reported as hard to fill due to candidate shortages for eight out of the past nine months according to the REC’s monthly Report on Jobs survey of recruiters.  

 

REC chief executive Kevin Green comments:

 

“With several high profile cyber-attacks this year, it’s no surprise that demand for cyber security staff is set to increase. However, there are very few people with the skills needed, so employers will be competing with each other for the limited talent. The good news for people working in cyber security is they could well see a pay increase next year as a result.

 

“Employers need to think realistically about how to fill roles if they are to protect themselves from debilitating cyber-attacks. This means they should make the most of transferrable skills and create training opportunities which would benefit employees and new applicants.

 

“The responsibility also lies with government. We think the Apprenticeship Levy should become a broader training levy so that employers can use this funding to develop the skills that they are desperate for. Long term, we need to see better careers guidance in schools about cyber security roles. And right now, we need to maintain access to the best people from around the world to create a secure environment where British businesses can flourish.”

Ends

 

Notes to editors:  

 

1. For more information, contact the REC Press Office on 0207 009 2157/2192 or pressoffice@rec.uk.com. An ISDN line is available for interviews on 0207 021 0584

2. The REC surveyed 31 recruitment agencies between 25 September and 20 November 2017. Questions and answers were:

 

Thinking about the next 12 months, do you think demand for cyber security staff will:

 

  • Increase significantly – 81 per cent
  • Increase slightly – 19 per cent
  • Stay the same – 0 per cent
  • Decrease slightly – 0 per cent
  • Decrease significantly – 0 per cent

 

Thinking about the next 12 months, do you think pay for cyber security staff will:

 

  • Increase significantly – 52 per cent
  • Increase slightly – 42 per cent
  • Stay the same – 6 per cent
  • Decrease slightly – 0 per cent
  • Decrease significantly – 0 per cent

 

How likely is it that the UK workforce will be able to meet demand in cyber security over the next 12 months?

 

  • Very likely – 0 per cent
  • Somewhat likely – 16 per cent
  • Neither likely nor unlikely – 3 per cent
  • Somewhat unlikely – 52 per cent
  • Very unlikely – 29 per cent

3. Jobs transform lives, which is why we are building the best recruitment industry in the world. As the professional body for recruitment we’re determined to make businesses more successful by helping them secure the people they need. We are absolutely passionate and totally committed in this pursuit for recruiters, employers, and the people they hire. Find out more about the Recruitment & Employment Confederation at www.rec.uk.com
 

Back to top
Award winning services AEA award logoTop 100 - 2017Association Excellence Awards 2017MemCom 2017 Awards