REC/IRP - The Week Ahead
Key developments over the last week included updated member feedback on AWR and positive discussions with the Employment Minister Chris Grayling. One of our key messages here focused on the potential benefits to government of tapping into the expertise of recruitment professionals to deliver effective careers guidance and support to jobseekers
Other positives included an open forum with leading business organisations and trade associations. This enabled us to take forward our core messages to client organisations – in particular with regards the value of using intermediaries to deliver effective recruitment services.
The feedback from trade bodies in areas like financial services, facilities management and care is that their biggest challenge is actively promoting careers in their sectors. This is an area of potential collaboration and is just one of the ‘hooks’ for the REC’s ongoing client campaign.
On a less positive note, the last week saw some unhelpful and unfounded comments by Labour leader Ed Milliband on the role of recruitment agencies in sourcing overseas labour to the detriment of UK workers. This is something we pushed back on and will be taking up with the Leader of the Opposition and the Shadow Cabinet. You can read our initial response here.
Looking forward, key REC activities and publications over the coming week are as follows:
Monday 25th June
• REC Life Sciences – Sector group meeting, RAC Club, London
Tuesday 26th June
• Pensions Workshop (in association with Brabners Chaffe Street LLP), London
• REC Wales – Regional Policy Forum, Cardiff
• Roundtable meeting on schools policy
Wednesday 27th June
• REC Technology – Sector Group meeting, Manchester
• Publication of monthly REC JobsOutlook Report
Thursday 28th June
• Interim Management Association (IMA) – General meeting, hosted by the Financial Times
• Induction sessions for new REC Regional Directors
• Trade Association Forum (TAF) annual awards
• Kids-Out ‘Toy Box Ball’, London
Friday 29th June
• ‘REC In the Round’, London
• Publication of latest REC Policy & Campaign e-newsletter